This is how to successfully watch Netflix or HuluPlus outside the US from a Samsung Smart TV using a single remote and no computer. Netflix and Hulu Plus are cheaper than Foxtel and don’t have anywhere near as many commercials. Best feature about Netflix and Hulu Plus, they track – based on your account – what shows you’re up to exactly, e.g. what episode you need to watch next, or what point in the middle of a movie where it was stopped last, so you can start again at the same point. This is all tracked to your account, so carries across to all your devices.
As far as the speed of your internet connection, Netflix seems to handle internet speeds better than HuluPlus in that Netflix changes the video quality on the fly, when watching Netflix you will notice the picture quality will change while you watch it without the video stopping. HuluPlus doesn’t really do this and seems to just stop, however you can manually change the Hulu Plus video quality, so maybe SD instead HD would stream better and won’t stop as much.
- Sign up for a Entropay virtual visa card. This card allows you to top it up with funds and use with Netflix. This is similar to a Visa debit card. For Hulu Plus, you will need one of their gift cards only available in the US, these guys can help.
- Set up a Netflix account, setting the Netflix account requires a US address, so make one up, but don’t forget it. When signing up for the Netflix or Hulu Plus account, you’ll need to be connected as if you were in the US. Either by using a VPN connection to the US or by using a transparent proxy solution (discussed below), just add their DNS server to your computer when signing up, you might need to close and re-open your browser and/or run ipconfig /flushdns from the command prompt to flush the DNS cache on your computer.
- Sign up with a company that offers a transparent proxy solution. They are mostly all the same and don’t use a conventional VPN connection, it only requires you to change the DNS settings on your device pointing to their DNS servers, this is why it works on so many devices as all devices allow you to enter in DNS addresses. Most of these companies offer free trials.
- Tunlr.net (These guys claim they do it a bit differently which they reckon gives you a faster connection, however no longer support Netflix)
- Blockless (These guys seem to offer the best speed)
- Playmo TV
- Setup your Samsung TV so that it uses different DNS servers from a transparent proxy – this is a rough guide. Follow your nose, yours might be slightly different. Using the Samsung TV or Apple TV, switching these devices off and back seems to clear the DNS cache if needed.
- Change your Samsung TV and connect it to the United States so that you can install US apps e.g. Netflix. This bit is easy, while at the smart hub page on your Samsung TV, Press Fast-Forward, 2, 8, 9, Rewind. A menu will appear allowing you to select United States. Then go through and install the apps as normal, you will see all the US apps. You don’t need to be connected to VPN or using a transparent proxy for this.
- That’s it, enjoy!
I am really impressed along with your writing talents and also with the structure on your
blog. Is this a paid theme or did you modify it your self?
Either way stay up the excellent quality writing,
it’s rare to look a nice blog like this one today..
Hi Marc, After trawling the internet for information over last few days this is the most concise description by far. Well Done!. I already had my other devices using a transparent proxy and I have americanised the smarthub with netflix. However the NETFLIX ESN on smarthub shows not supported and will not connect. If you google Netflix ESN it will point to Samsung support adding this to their servers for registration. I am still unable to view after doing all that. Hulu Plus works but vudu complains and netflix will not open just shows connecting alert and not even splash. Did you come across this? Regardless thought I would add my thoughts to yours if you do not mind. Thanks again Alan
Hi Alan – i have exactly the same issue – did you manage to resolve it?
Another good option you might want to add to the list is https://unlocator.com
Have you ever heard how to change the country on a Panasonic Smart Viera TV? Seems so easy on a Samsung!
I think there is another way to watch US program and its easy to install, try trickbyte.com I’ve using this for a couple of month now so far no problem for me, and for only $2.99/month I can watch all program from US to any destination. Its also support fire tv too.
Great article Marc. The DNS option is better than using a VPN regarding content streaming because you can achieve direct connection with the media station ex. Netflix and avoid the “middle-man”. Personally, I am using UnoTelly which is similar to Unblock-us. Perhaps you should check UnoTelly as well if you haven’t done so.
Great article. The DNS option is better than using a VPN regarding content streaming because you can achieve direct connection with the media station ex. Netflix and avoid the “middle-man”. Personally, I am using UnoTelly which is similar to blockless. Perhaps you should check UnoTelly as well if you haven’t done so.